229 Command/Utility/Fire Police was a 2006 Chevrolet Impala LTD. It started out as a police vehicle for a local community before it was changed to a fire command vehicle for that same community. It served Mt Zion to assist with road closures and EMS assists. It was sold to a private citizen.
Engine 229 Engine 1 was a 1984 E-One that was on loan to us from the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. This particular engine was the first engine to respond when the space shuttle Challenger was lost due to an explosion. Due to pump issues, it was given back to DCNR in 2016 after a fairly short run at Mt Zion.
Rescue 229-1 "Road Warrior" Demographics: 1995 International Rescue Pumper that was given to Mt Zion through the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources as military surplus. It was originally at Fort Indiantown Gap. It was sold in 2016 to a fire company in Argentina.
1986 FMC 1500 gmp top mount pumper with a 500 gallon tank. This truck went out of service due to mechanical issues.
The Volvo White
Tanker 1 was 1988 Volvo White which was finally taken out of service when our 2009 Rosenbauer Mack Granite was placed into service. This truck had the capabilities of transporting 3000 gallons of water and had a 500 gpm pump. It was sold to Latona Trucking Company for construction use.
From the 156 to the 229
This 1976 Ward LaFrance was in service for a short few years. This piece was purchased from Lehman Township and was in service until the FMC was placed into service. This truck is currently owned by a private collector. It had a 500 gallon tank and a 1250 gpm pump.
Big Bird was an 1989 E-ONE which was placed out of service due to having a bad 1250 gpm pump. The truck was then sold to Irem Shriners as a parade piece. This truck is currently operated by them and has appeared in many local parades.
Engine 7, an American LaFrance was purchased by our department from the West Pittston Hose Company #1 and was our primary engine for many years. It carried 500 gallons of water and could pump 1000 gpm.
The heart and soul of our department for many years was a 1967 Hahn with double Q2B sirens. It was purchased from Hummelstown, PA. Right after arriving at Mt Zion, it responded to its first of many fires. It had a 750 gallon tank with a 1250 gpm pump.
1956 Dodge brush truck... This Truck was returned to DCNR shortly before we received a military surplus Dodge 1 ton pickup from DCNR, which we converted to a brush truck.
Our First Engine
1956 Ford engine, the original piece of the department. After many years of hard work and sweat, the Mt. Zion Bicentennial Volunteer Fire Company was established. This truck was placed into service. It may not have been much but it protected our town for many years.
Our First Tanker
1963 Tanker - Our Fire Hydrant. Due to the limited water supplies and no actual fire hydrants in our town, this truck was used to assist the engine in fighting structural type fires along with other emergencies. It carried 1500 gallons of water and had a 500 gmp pump.